This is my father's recipe -- the best cheese puffs you've ever tasted. Gougeres are best served warm, so pipe them at the last minute and bake them just before your guests arrive. Freeze any leftover baked gougeres in a tightly sealed plastic bag for up to a month. Warm them up before serving by placing them in a 350 oven for three to four minutes.
1. Preheat the oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place 1 cup water and butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low and add the flour, salt, cayenne, and nutmeg. Cook the mixture for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring constantly, until it turns into a thick paste and no longer sticks to the sides of the pan.
3. Transfer the batter to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix at low speed, incorporating the eggs one at a time. Do not add an egg until the previous one is completely incorporated.
4. Add the cream to the batter while the mixer is running. Then stop the mixer and gently fold in the grated Gruyere with a spatula, making sure not to deflate the dough.
5. Fit a pastry bag with a #5 or 1/2 inch star tip and fill it with the dough. Pipe 1-inch rounds of the dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Wet your finger (not in your mouth, Benson!) and smooth out the top of the gougeres. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
6. Remove from the oven and sprinkle grated Gruyere on top if desired. Arrange on a platter, and serve warm.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Piece (33g)|
|Recipe Makes: 40|
|Calories from Fat: 62 (53%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 6.9g||9 %|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.4g|
|Cholesterol 46.5mg||14 %|
|Sodium 42.4mg||1 %|
|Potassium 32.4mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 8.8g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1 %|
|Sugars, other 8.5g|
|Protein 4.9g||7 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 117
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.