1. Place the chicken in a stockpot and pour enough stock just to cover. Add celery, carrots, onion, salt, garlic, bay leaf, pepper and mace. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.
2. With a slotted spoon, remove chicken breasts, set aside and continue simmering 30 minutes longer.
3. Remove remaining chicken pieces and set aside with breasts. When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred meat, discard skin and bones, then set aside.
4. While the chicken is cooking mix up the dumpling batter. Sift together flour, salt and baking powder into a medium bowl. Add eggs, milk, parsley, pepper and mix lightly. For lighter dumplings let batter sit 10 minutes to 1 hour before using.
5. About 20 minutes before you plan to eat, bring the broth to a boil. Drop the batter into the broth by the tablespoons. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes. Spoon dumplings and thickened broth over chicken and serve.
Read more at http://www.recipelion.com/Casserole-Recipes/Grandmas-Chicken-and-Dumplings/ml/1#D18istzOeIVzh6T2.99
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (573g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 179 (34%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 19.9g||26 %|
|Saturated Fat 5.9g||29 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 8.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.9g|
|Cholesterol 210.3mg||65 %|
|Sodium 805.8mg||28 %|
|Potassium 801.1mg||21 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 51g||15 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.8g||11 %|
|Sugars, other 48.2g|
|Protein 32.5g||46 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 520
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!