1. Cream shortening, sugar, and eggs.
2. Make a paste of the cocoa and food coloring in a separate container
3. Mix items in step 1. and 2.
4. Alternate adding flour, salt, and buttermilk to mixture.
5. Add vanilla.
6. In a small container: add vinegar and baking soda. Hold over batter while reacting, and let boil over into batter.
7. Pour remaining vinegar/soda mixture into batter.
9. Bake in a greased and floured pan at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.
10. Allow cake to cool COMPLETELY before putting on icing.
11. bake in separate pans for layered cakes.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Recipe (1280g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Serving|
|Calories from Fat: 2372 (62%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 263.5g||351 %|
|Saturated Fat 148.3g||741 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 82.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 15.6g|
|Cholesterol 908.4mg||279 %|
|Sodium 85425mg||2946 %|
|Potassium 623mg||16 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 353.8g||104 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||1 %|
|Sugars, other 353.7g|
|Protein 21.4g||31 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 3806
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.