1. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and fry the beef mince for 4-5 minutes, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it browns.
2. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, then stir in the tomato pur?e and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for a further minute, then add the chopped mushrooms, the stout or beef stock and a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pan with a lid and leave to simmer for 20 minutes. Set aside and leave to cool, then turn the meat mixture into a one litre pie dish.
3. Roll out the pastry on a floured work surface until it is slightly larger than the pie dish. Gently drape the pastry over the dish, pressing firmly onto the edges. Trim, then shape the edges into a fluted shape.
4. Cut some leaf shapes out of the pastry trimmings and decorate the top of the pie, sticking them to the pastry with the beaten egg yolk.
5. Make three or four slits in the pastry to allow the steam to escape, then brush the pie with the rest of the beaten egg yolk and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden-brown.
6. To serve, slice into wedges.
Serve with buttered boiled potatoes and green peas.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (349g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4|
|Calories from Fat: 892 (100%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 348g||464 %|
|Saturated Fat 24g||120 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.5g|
|Cholesterol 124.1mg||38 %|
|Sodium 639.3mg||22 %|
|Potassium 125.9mg||3 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 66.7g||20 %|
|Dietary Fiber 7.3g||29 %|
|Sugars, other 59.4g|
|Protein 38.2g||55 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 892
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.