1. Add sliced peppers to a bowl, splash with olive oil, mix, set aside. Slice the eggplant into 1/4 inch slices, lightly salt, set onto a plate, and let them sit for about 20 minutes, then rinse off salt and drain on paper towel in a colander.
2. Preheat your oven to 400°F
3. Lay out the eggplant onto a baking sheet, drizzle eggplant with olive oil, bake for 15 - 20 minutes until eggplant is a nice brownish color. Remove from oven, and let cool for 10 - 15 minutes.
4. Once eggplant is cooled, dice into cubes, and set aside in a bowl.
5. Heat 2 tbsp evoo in a large skillet over medium to medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add onion and saute for 3 - 4 minutes until softened.
6. Add garlic, and celery for 2 - 3 minutes until lightly browned
7. Add the reserved eggplant, warm through about 2-3 minutes stir occasionally
8. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, and sun dried tomatoes with oil, if your using them. Cook stirring occasionally for 5-6 minutes.
9. Add peppers, capers, anchovies, olives, parsley, mix well, add black pepper, red pepper flakes, and salt to taste, mix well, turn heat to low, cover and cook for 4-5 minutes.
10. Transfer to a baking dish, let cool for 15-20 minutes, cover, and set into the fridge.
11. Serve cold or slightly warm. The Caponata will stay good for up to 7 days covered in the fridge.
12. Add pine nuts for added color and taste - Enjoy!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (439g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 116 (51%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 12.9g||17 %|
|Saturated Fat 1.8g||9 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 8.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.6g|
|Cholesterol 1mg||0 %|
|Sodium 1615.5mg||56 %|
|Potassium 1347.2mg||35 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 28g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 9.9g||39 %|
|Sugars, other 18.1g|
|Protein 6.3g||9 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 229
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.