These chewy-crisp flatbreads are just right for drizzling with chile oil and herb sauce or wrapping around grilled meat. Use this master recipe and topping combinations from our list below, or improvise with anything from guacamole to pesto. And yes, you can substitute store-bought pizza
* Dissolve yeast in 3 cups warm
water in a large bowl. Add all-purpose and whole wheat flours; mix with your fingertips until a shaggy dough forms. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
* Sprinkle salt over dough, then add sour cream; knead until well incorporated and dough pulls away from sides of bowl and holds together in a loose, wet ball, about 5 minutes
(dough will be very soft and wet; lightly moisten your hands to prevent sticking if needed). Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise at room temperature for 30 minutes.
* Knead dough an additional 4–5 times to deflate. Cover and chill for up to 2 days. (Dough will develop in flavor and continue to rise slowly in refrigerator.) Alternatively,
let dough stand at room temperature until doubled in volume, 3–4 hours (the warmer and more humid your kitchen is, the faster it will rise).
Chill for 1 hour before grilling to make it easier to handle.
* Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to high. Divide dough into 8 equal portions. Generously flour a work surface. Working with 1 or 2 portions at a time (depending on how many flatbreads will fit on your grill),
roll out dough or press with your hands into a 1/4-inch-thick shape. (It doesn't have to be perfectly round.)
* Brush grill rack with oil.
Grill flatbreads until lightly charred on one side and no longer
sticking to grill, 2–3 minutes. Using tongs, turn flatbreads and grill until cooked through, 1–2 minutes longer. Add desired toppings and serve warm.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (123g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 25 (6%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 2.7g||4 %|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.6g|
|Cholesterol 4.2mg||1 %|
|Sodium 1856.6mg||64 %|
|Potassium 280.3mg||7 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 80.8g||24 %|
|Dietary Fiber 6.5g||26 %|
|Sugars, other 74.2g|
|Protein 13g||19 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 397
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!