1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, simmer the tomato chunks with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the garlic, the salt and pepper for about 20 minutes, until the tomatoes break down and becomes soft and saucy.
3. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt one stick of butter on low heat and simmer for about 12 minutes until the butter turns nut brown and smalls like hazelnuts. The solids will begin to separate and then fall to the bottom. Butter turns from brown to black very quickly, so watch closely. Immediately remove the butter from the heat and strain through a fine sieve into a dry container. Set aside to cool. The butter is very hot, so be careful not to spill any water in it as it cools; otherwise, the butter will spit and bubble, the way hot oil does.
4. Stir half of the caramelized butter into the tomato sauce and purée it in a blender until smooth. Preseason it with salt and pepper and set aside.
5. In a medium mixing bowl, put the peppers in the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season them with salt and pepper. Place the peppers on a baking sheet and roast them in the oven until they are soft and collapsed, 8 to 10 minutes. Set them aside but keep them warm.
6. In a small mixing bowl, combine the cumin with the oregano and Aleppo chilies and sprinkle the skirt steaks evenly on both sides with the spice mixture.
7. Grill the steaks over charcoal, or sear them as follows. In a large, heavy skillet or cast-iron pan over medium-high heat, mix 1/2 tablespoon of the canola oil and 1/2 tablespoon of the remaining butter. When the butter turns brown, add the steaks and sear them on the first side, allowing them to brown for about 5 minutes. Lower the heat if the pan becomes too smoky or if the spices begin to burn. Turn the steaks over and brown the other side. Cook for another 5 minutes if yo want them more well done. Put them on a platter to rest and wipe the pan out. Brown the remaining steaks with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of butter and oil.
8. Arrange the pita halves on 4 plates. Remove the steaks from the pan and rest them on the pita. As the meat rests, the juices will said into the bread. Top with tomato sauce, yogurt and the peppers and serve with the extra caramelized butter to drizzle over all.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (675g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 239 (82%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 26.6g||35 %|
|Saturated Fat 15.5g||77 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.4g|
|Cholesterol 63.3mg||19 %|
|Sodium 238mg||8 %|
|Potassium 622.3mg||16 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 14.4g||4 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4.1g||16 %|
|Sugars, other 10.3g|
|Protein 3.2g||5 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 292
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!