1. Combine the butter, pecans, and molasses in bowl of an electric mixer; blend using the paddle attachment until smooth.
2. Season with ¼ teaspoon of salt and a pinch of pepper.
3. Roll into a cylinder and refrigerate until needed.
(NOTE: CIA Chef said no need to roll into cylinder for this particular application, leaving me to apply a spoonful of softer blend to the top of each hot slice. The butter melted, leaving the pecans looking unattractively scattered on top of the slices.
GRILLED SWEET POTATOS
1. Peel and cut into thin slices (½ to ? inches in thickness)
2. Put single latter of sliced sweet potatoes in pan, add small amount of water, add lid, and steam on high heat until about half-done. This can be done well in advance of final preparations.
3. Preheat gas grill to medium-high; leave one burner off as "safe" area for cooked slices. Clean the cooking grate.
(If using charcoal grill, build a fire and let it burn down until the coals are glowing red with a moderate coating of white ash. Spread the coals in an even bed on one side of the grill only.)
4. Brush the sweet potatoes with oil
5. Grill over direct heat, turning once, until marked on both sides, about 3 or 4 minutes per side, until tender throughout. With presentation side up, move to indirect heat.
6. Serve immediately on a heated platter or plates. Top with slices of pecan-molasses butter.
See notes below on ways to improve on this recipe.
For example, BROWN SUGAR sounds more interesting than molasses,
My first attempt at making these (at Grilling Boot Camp) was not impressive. "The Flavor Bible" suggests some interesting flavor combinations more appealing to me than the ungarnished pecan-molasses butter topping called for. The photo is my actual product at Boot Camp.
"The Flavor Bible" reveals that several experts recommend the following combinations. CAPS Indicate that MANY experts recommended them
ORANGE: juice, zest
Apples and apple juice
Oil: nut, peanut, sesame
Onions, esp. Red
Pepper: black, white
SP + allspice + cinnamon + ginger
SP + apples + sage
SP + bacon + onions + rosemary
SP + chile peppers + lemon zest
SP + chorizo sausage + orange
SP + cilantro + lime juice
SP + kale + proscuitto
SP + maple syrup + pecans
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (77g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 27 (28%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 3g||4 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.4g||2 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.8g|
|Cholesterol 21.6mg||7 %|
|Sodium 44.1mg||2 %|
|Potassium 288.9mg||8 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 16.1g||5 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.3g||9 %|
|Sugars, other 13.8g|
|Protein 2g||3 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 96
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!