1. Cook the garlic, and white part of the leek in the olive oil till tender.
2. Add the stock and diced potatoes, green parts of the leek and simmer till the potatoes are tender.
3. Add the herbs and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Puree soup in a blender, food processor or with the hand immersion blender as I am doing now. I blend for a good long time until the soup is light and silky smooth.
5. Add the milk or cream, and season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve topped with some herbs and a dollop of sour cream.
I found it interesting reading about a tradition in Germany called Gr?ndonnerstagsuppe or Green Thursday Soup consisting of 7 0r 9 green herbs, which is served on Gr?ndonnerstag or Maundy Thursday. It is coincidence that gr?n means green because both Maundy and the word greinen has to do with mourning or in the case of Maundy it is also believed to come from begging.
The tradition itself is more about the green being a symbol for new life, after a long hard winter, the new green herbs give us enrichment for life.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (709g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 21 (12%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 2.3g||3 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.3g||2 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.5g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 1041.7mg||36 %|
|Potassium 1144.2mg||30 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 33.8g||10 %|
|Dietary Fiber 7.2g||29 %|
|Sugars, other 26.5g|
|Protein 7.1g||10 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 171
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.