My mama's recipe.
Source: Carol Grover Fontenot
1. In a very large pot boil the chicken thighs in the chicken broth until chicken is cooked through.
2. Reduce heat and remove cooked chicken from broth and set aside.
3. Stir the roux in the jar to mix in any oil that may have separated. Add the roux to the chicken broth in small spoon fulls. Simmer and stir occasionally until the roux is dissolved.
4. Add the frozen seasoning blend to the roux mixture. Allow mixture to return to a simmer and cook until vegetables are tender.
5. Return the chicken to the pot and add the sliced meats; sausage, andouille, tasso. Allow to simmer.
6. Wisk the gumbo base mix with water as per instructions on the box and add to the pot. Use the amount of water the package calls for, or a little less.
7. Open the tins of smoked oysters. Some brands add fillers such as carrot pieces. Remove any fillers; Great value brand has no fillers. Add the oysters to the pot.
8. Add the crab boil very sparingly. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Continue simmering and taste often!
9. Finally, add the frozen shrimp about 15 minutes before serving.
10. Serve with cooked white rice.
Use ingredients in amounts to suit your taste. Feel free to include crabs, fresh oysters, etc.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (430g)|
|Recipe Makes: 9 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 389 (63%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 43.2g||58 %|
|Saturated Fat 12.6g||63 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 18.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 9.3g|
|Cholesterol 222.2mg||68 %|
|Sodium 1159.7mg||40 %|
|Potassium 756.3mg||20 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 1.1g||0 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 1.1g|
|Protein 51.7g||74 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 614
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe.