1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Chop 4 oz of the butter. Sift the flour into a large bowl and add the chopped butter. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until it is fine and crumbly. Add almost all the water and use a knife to mix to a firm dough, adding more water if necessary. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and press together until smooth.
2. Divide the dough in half, roll out one portion and line a deep 8.5 inch fluted flan tin. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. Roll the remaining pastry out to a 10-inch diameter circle. Cut into strips and lay half of them on a sheet of baking paper, leaving a 1/2 inch gap between each strip. Interweave the remaining strips to form a lattice pattern. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate, keeping flat, until firm.
3. Cut a sheet of greaseproof paper to cover the pastry-lined tin. Spread a layer of dried beans or pie weights over the paper. Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven and remove pie weights, discard paper. Bake for another 10 minutes or until lightly golden; allow to cool.
4. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes or until soft. Add the peppers and cook, stirring, for another 3 minutes. Steam or boil remaining vegetables until just tender; drain and cool. Mix the onion, peppers and other vegetables in a large bowl.
5. Heat the remaining butter in a small pan. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the milk gradually, stirring until smooth between each addition. Stir constantly over medium heat until the mixture boils and thickens. Boil for 1 minute and then remove from the heat. Add the egg yolks and cheese and stir until smooth. Pour the sauce over the vegetables and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the pastry case and brush the edges with egg. Using baking paper to lift, invert the pastry lattice over the vegetables, trim the edges and brush with a little beaten egg, sealing to the cooked pastry. Brush the top with egg and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (278g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 336 (54%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 37.4g||50 %|
|Saturated Fat 18.6g||93 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 10.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 6.2g|
|Cholesterol 143mg||44 %|
|Sodium 257.4mg||9 %|
|Potassium 434mg||11 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 69.9g||21 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.2g||9 %|
|Sugars, other 67.7g|
|Protein 6.9g||10 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 626
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!