Made with fresh sweet summer corn and zucchini, this Healthy Corn and Zucchini Chowder Recipe is just what you're looking for when you're craving something rich and creamy, but you're trying to eat healthily. Made with extra vegetables, less potato, no flour, and half-and-half instead of cream, this corn chowder is still creamy and delicious, minus the guilt.
1. In a large stockpot or dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until bacon starts to brown, stirring occasionally, approximately 4 minutes.
2. Add onion, celery, carrots, garlic and thyme. Stir the vegetables with the bacon and bacon grease until coated. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook until vegetables just start to soften, approximately 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add chopped potato, chopped cauliflower, water and bay leaf. Stir and raise heat back to medium high heat. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until potatoes and cauliflower are soft and nearly cooked through.
4. Add zucchini and corn and stir to mix. Cover and simmer for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until all the vegetables are fully cooked.
5. Remove the bay leaf from the pot and carefully transfer 3 cups of chowder to a food processor or blender; process until pureed. Carefully stir shredded chicken and pureed chowder back into the pot and season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Stir in half and half into the pot and cook until just heated through. Add any additional salt and pepper necessary.
7. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and cayenne pepper or Tabasco sauce for a little heat. :)
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (676g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 86 (15%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 9.5g||13 %|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.8g|
|Cholesterol 53.2mg||16 %|
|Sodium 751.7mg||26 %|
|Potassium 1124.4mg||30 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 93g||27 %|
|Dietary Fiber 10.9g||44 %|
|Sugars, other 82.1g|
|Protein 31g||44 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 566
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!