1. Make the Pepita puree. Heat oven to 350 F. Toss the pepitas with 1 tsp EVOO and roast until evenly browned about 5-7 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
2. Set aside 2 Tbsp of the cooled pepitas. Place remainder in a blender with 3/4 vegetable stock. Puree drizzling with the remaining EVOO. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Puree again adding vegetable stock as needed to get a consistency slightly thinner than tomato paste.
3. Cook the shallots. Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a simmer. Blanch the shallots for 2 minutes and then transfer to a bowl of ice water until cooled. Drain well.
4. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, star anise and red pepper flakes. Bring the vinegar to a boil and then reduce heat to low and cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the drained shallots and simmer for 1 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool. Can cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature before using.
5. Make the squash. Heat oven to 450 F. Fill a large pot halfway with lightly salted water and bring to a simmer over high heat. Prepare bowl of ice water.
6. Using one type of squash at a time - blanch in the simmering water until tender but not falling apart. Delicata and butternut about 2 minutes. Kabocha slightly longer. As soon as the squash is tender remove with a slotted spoon and plunge into the ice water. Dry very well on paper towels. They will not brown when roasting if they are not dry.
7. Spread the squash on 2 large baking sheets and season with salt and pper. Drizzle with oil and rub the surfaces to coat well. Roast the squash for 5-10 minutes or until the squash starts to color.
8. Spread the puree on plates and arrange the squash on top of the puree arranging it loosely to show off different shapes.
Disperse the pickled shallots among the squash. Garnish with remaining pepitas and serve warm.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (765g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 175 (35%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 19.4g||26 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.9g||15 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 9.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.9g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 560.7mg||19 %|
|Potassium 1865.4mg||49 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 77.2g||23 %|
|Dietary Fiber 9.7g||39 %|
|Sugars, other 67.5g|
|Protein 10.5g||15 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 497
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!