1. Remove giblets and neck from turkey; reserve for gravy. Rinse turkey with cold running water and drain well. Blot dry with paper towels.
2. Peel skin from lemons and limes to make rose garnishes (see step 11 for directions). Reserve in refrigerator.
3. Squeeze enough juice from the lemons and limes to equal 2 tablespoons each. Cut the remaining lemons and limes in half and place in the turkey cavity. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt in the cavity.
4. In a small bowl, mix the wine, brown sugar and citrus juices; reserve for glaze.
5. Gently loosen skin from the turkey breast without totally detaching the skin and carefully place 1 tablespoon each fresh sage, marjoram and thyme under the skin. Replace the skin.
6. Fold neck skin and fasten to the back with 1 or 2 skewers. Fold the wings under the back of the turkey. Return legs to tucked position.
7. Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a large shallow (about 2-inches deep) roasting pan. Rub turkey with remaining salt, pepper and 2 to 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Insert oven-safe food thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh, being careful that the pointed end of the thermometer does not touch the bone.
8. Roast the turkey in a preheated 325 degree F oven about 3-3/4 hours. During the last hour of roasting time, baste with the pan drippings. During the last 30 minutes, baste with the citrus glaze. Loosely cover with lightweight foil to prevent excessive browning. Continue to roast until the thermometer registers 180 degrees F in the thigh.
9. Remove turkey from the oven and allow to rest for 15-20 minutes before carving.
10. Place on a warm large platter and garnish the platter with the remaining fresh herbs and lemon and lime roses.
11. Prepare lemon and lime roses as follows: with a small sharp knife or vegetable peeler, cut a continuous thin 1-inch strip of peel. Avoid cutting into the white pith. Roll tightly, skin inside out and secure with toothpicks. Reserve in a bowl filled with ice water until time for service.
12. Provides 22 servings at 6 ounces per portion.
Republished with permission, National Turkey Federation
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (368g)|
|Recipe Makes: 20|
|Calories from Fat: 95 (22%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 10.6g||14 %|
|Saturated Fat 3.3g||16 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.1g|
|Cholesterol 218.4mg||67 %|
|Sodium 237.4mg||8 %|
|Potassium 1037.7mg||27 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 8g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.8g||3 %|
|Sugars, other 7.2g|
|Protein 73.4g||105 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 437
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.