1. Prepare the potatoes: Boil your potatoes with the skin on till fork tender. Remove from the water and allow to drain and cool completely. Peel your potatoes and rice your potatoes through a potato ricer. If they’re wet allow the riced potatoes to drain on a cloth.
2. Combine the gnocchi dough: Mound the potato onto a dry surface and top with your flour, reserve 1/2 cup for later, and season with salt. Make a well in the middle of your mixture by scooping out the middle of your mound and pushing it into the sides. Break an egg into this well and beat with a fork.
3. Form the gnocchi: Using that same fork, begin to pull your potato and flour into the egg mixture in the well, beating the entire time. Use your hands once this is done to form your dough and begin to knead once it’s fully incorporated, be sure not to over knead your dough. Shape the dough into a long rectangle to prepare your gnocchi for cutting.
4. Cut the gnocchi: Cut the gnocchi into 8 – 10 pieces. Roll each of these pieces into a long rope, customize the size of the gnocchi you want with the thickness of these ropes. Cut down into 1 inch pieces and that’s it! Just flour the gnocchi a bit to prevent sticking and you’re done.
5. Cooking your pasta: Shake off excess flour and add carefully to a large pot of salted water. Cook till they float to the top which will take 2 – 4 minutes, remove carefully with a slotted spoon and drain well. Add to your dish right near the end and allow to cook for 2 minutes.
FREEZING HOMEMADE GNOCCHI
Arrange your gnocchi on a baking tray with some extra flour and freeze for 2 – 3 hours. Once frozen transfer to an airtight container and store till ready to cook, it will last in the freezer for 4 – 6 weeks. Don’t thaw your gnocchi, just add it straight to salted boiling water when ready to eat.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (377g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 11 (2%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 1.2g||2 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.2g||1 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.5g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 18.9mg||1 %|
|Potassium 1293.3mg||34 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 120.6g||35 %|
|Dietary Fiber 8.8g||35 %|
|Sugars, other 111.9g|
|Protein 15.4g||22 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 558
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!