1/2 kg of lemons - clean, unwaxed with nice plump skins. The skins should give off a lemon scent; don't get ones that don't smell. Preferabley organic fresh lemons are ideal.
1 glass of 80-proof vodka (40 degrees C).
For this recipe you need a large container, i.e. (2-3 litre) glass jar with a sealed lid. The jar should be washed and rinsed very well or sterilized.
Step 1: Lemon in alcohol
1. Was and dry the lemons. Only use the ones without blemished peels or pare off any spots and the stems, ends.
2. Remove the peel from the lemons with a sharp peeler or fine grater/zester, carefully avoiding the bitter white pith. If you choose to peel your lemons, please note that if any white pith remains on the back of a strip of peel, scrape it off, If you get any of the white part in the batch, the limoncello will be bitter and that will ruin the taste!
1. Add the 95 Alcohol (500ml) in the glass jar/bottle
2. Put the peels in a glass jar and add the vodka.
3. Leave the lemons to steep in the jar in a cool, dark place until the peels lose their color, at least 2 weeks. The longer you leave it the better. Every couple of days I swirl the peels around in the jar to mix up the oils in the alcohol.
Step 3: make the simple cream syrup and add it.
1. Put the milk and sugar in a saucepan, stir and slowly heat until it boils and all the sugar is dissolved completely. Let the syrup cool.
2. Add a drop of vanilla essence.
3. Sieve the milk
4. Put the cooled milky solution in the jar with the lemons
5. Mix well.
Step 3: strain and bottle
1. Strain out the lemon peels through a coffee filter or cheesecloth and pour the limoncello into another container.
2.Taste and adjust the sugar and alcohol content to suit
3. Place bottles in the Freezer
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (101g)|
|Recipe Makes: 24 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 12 (7%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 1.4g||2 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.8g||4 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.1g|
|Cholesterol 4mg||1 %|
|Sodium 16.7mg||1 %|
|Potassium 85.4mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 36.9g||11 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||4 %|
|Sugars, other 36g|
|Protein 1.5g||2 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 177
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!