1. Rinse the beans in water and remove any small stones, pieces of dirt, or bad beans.
2. Soak beans overnight.
3. Put beans into a pot and cover beans with at least 3 inches of water - about 3 quarts for 2 1/2 cups of dry beans.
4. Add a garlic clove and bring to a boil and then lower heat to simmer, covered, for about 2 1/2 hours. The cooking time will vary depending on the batch of beans you have. The beans are done when they are soft and the skin is just beginning to break open.
5. Strain beans from the cooking water.
6. Add the onions and lard/fat/oil to a wide, sturdy (not with a flimsy stick-free lining) frying pan on medium high heat. Cook onions until translucent,
7. Add the strained beans and about a 1/4 cup of water or a little sour cream to the pan.
8. Using a potato masher, mash the beans in the pan, while you are cooking them, until they are a rough purée. Add more water if necessary to keep the fried beans from getting too dried out.
9. Add salt to taste.
10. Add a few slices of cheddar cheese, or some (1/2 cup) grated cheddar cheese if you want.
11. When beans are heated through (and optional cheese melted) the beans are ready to serve.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (596g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 67 (17%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 7.4g||10 %|
|Saturated Fat 4.2g||21 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.6g|
|Cholesterol 16.9mg||5 %|
|Sodium 132.6mg||5 %|
|Potassium 1319.2mg||35 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 59.5g||17 %|
|Dietary Fiber 14.6g||59 %|
|Sugars, other 44.8g|
|Protein 20.5g||29 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 386
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!