I'm from the South and I grew up loving Chicken & Dumpins. I couldn't find a recipe online for Chicken & Dumplins like I grew up with. I e-mailed a lady who cooked them right and she sent me the recipe. She's one of the cooks that don't measure when they cook, they just do it. She sent me this recipe. I cooked it for Christmas and it's great!
1.Add Chicken Breast to about 6 cups of water. Boil chicken until done. Remove bone and meat to a plate, strain broth retaining broth into a large boiler.
2. Put broth from chicken in a large pot. Add 1 can Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup to broth and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add bay leaves and chicken bouillon cubes
3. Mix flour salt and pepper in a bowl.
4. Once broth and soup are combined take 1 cup broth mixture and add to flour mixture.
5. Add buttermilk, egg, butter and stir until it is a pasty dough turn out on pastry sheet and work in small amounts of flour (you’ll work in about a cup and a half of flour) until it holds together good.
6. Shred the chicken fine and add to broth. Add additional broth until it gets to desired consistency. (You’ll want a little more than what you want your final consistency to be, the dumplings and simmering will condense it considerable.
7. Roll out to bout 1/8th inch thick cut into squares and drop into soup and cook 45 minutes until tender. Stir occasionally.
I accidentally burnt mine the first time I made it. It didn't turn black, it was a golden brown and actually made it taste better, it gave it a roasted chicken flavor. So if you mess up, it's okay- there's room for error.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (420g)|
|Recipe Makes: 10 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 141 (45%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 15.7g||21 %|
|Saturated Fat 7.6g||38 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.9g|
|Cholesterol 70.5mg||22 %|
|Sodium 724.4mg||25 %|
|Potassium 324.4mg||9 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 28g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8 %|
|Sugars, other 26g|
|Protein 14.7g||21 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 314
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.