Honey, Oatmeal, Brown Sugar & Applesauce combine for a delicious sweet treat.
1) Combine the 3/4 cup water and oats, and let rest for 20 minutes. This gives the oats a chance to absorb the water and soften up.
2) If you're using active or "highly active" dry yeast, dissolve it in 2 tablespoons of the lukewarm water with a pinch of sugar. It should start to bubble as the oats and water rest.
3) Add the remaining ingredients to the oats (including the yeast/water/sugar mixture, if you're using active dry yeast), and mix and knead—by hand, electric mixer, or bread machine set on the dough cycle—until the dough feels springy; it will be quite stiff.
4) Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, and allow it to rise, covered, for 2 hours; it's a slow riser.
5) Gently deflate the dough, and shape it into an 8" log. Place it in a lightly greased 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan. Cover the pan loosely with lightly greased plastic wrap.
6) Allow the dough to rise at room temperature for 1 3/4 to 2 hours, till it's crowned about 1 1/2" over the rim of the pan. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
7) Brush the top of the loaf with milk, and sprinkle with oats, if desired.
8) Bake the bread for 20 minutes. Tent it loosely with aluminum foil, and bake for an additional 25 to 30 minutes. When the bread is done, it'll be golden brown, and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center will register 190°F.
9) Remove the bread from the oven, wait 5 minutes, then turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool. Cool completely before slicing. Store well-wrapped at room temperature.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (31g)|
|Recipe Makes: 16 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 43 (53%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 4.8g||6 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.9g||14 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.3g|
|Cholesterol 11.4mg||4 %|
|Sodium 36.4mg||1 %|
|Potassium 113.5mg||3 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 9.4g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.1g||8 %|
|Sugars, other 7.3g|
|Protein 1.7g||2 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 81
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe.