1. Place peppers in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on High until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Let stand, covered, until cool enough to handle.
2. Meanwhile, combine beans, salsa and salt in a medium bowl. Mash the beans with a fork until they begin to form a paste (some can remain whole). Combine cheese, yogurt, scallions and cilantro in a small bowl.
3. When the peppers are cool enough to handle, slice each one in half lengthwise and remove the stem and seeds.
4. Heat a panini maker to high. (No panini maker? See Stovetop Variation, below.)
5. Spread 1/3 cup of the bean mixture on each of 4 slices of bread. Top with a heaping tablespoon of the cheese mixture. Place 2 pepper halves over the cheese. Cover with the remaining slices of bread.
6. Grill the sandwiches in the panini maker until golden brown and through, about 4 minutes. Cut in half and serve immediately.
* Note: Dark green poblano peppers, smaller than a bell pepper but larger than a jalape�o, can be fiery or relatively mild; there�s no way to tell until you taste them. Find them near other fresh peppers at most large supermarkets.
* Stovetop Variation: Place four 15-ounce cans and a medium skillet (not nonstick) by the stove. Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 2 sandwiches in the pan. Place the medium skillet on top of the sandwiches, then weight it down with the cans. Cook the sandwiches until golden on one side, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, flip the sandwiches, replace the top skillet and cans, and cook until the second side is golden, 1 to 3 minutes more. Repeat with another 1 teaspoon oil and the remaining 2 sandwiches.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (160g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 58 (22%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 6.4g||9 %|
|Saturated Fat 3.6g||18 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.7g|
|Cholesterol 15.6mg||5 %|
|Sodium 542.7mg||19 %|
|Potassium 361.8mg||10 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 38.9g||11 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.7g||11 %|
|Sugars, other 36.2g|
|Protein 12.8g||18 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 259
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!