For the Buns
1. Put the flour, salt and ground mixed spice into a large mixing bowl, then rub in the butter using fingertips. Make a well in the centre of the mixture, then add the sugar and lemon zest and yeast into the well.
2. Beat the egg. Add the beaten egg and warm milk into the well. Mix together to form a soft, pliable dough.
3. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Carefully work the mixed dried fruit into the dough until well combined. knead lightly for 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
4. Grease a large, warm mixing bowl with butter. Shape the dough into a ball and place it into the prepared bowl, then cover with a clean tea towel and set aside in a warm place for one hour to prove.
5. Turn out the proved dough onto a lightly floured work surface knock back the dough. Shape it into a call again and return to the bowl, then cover again with the tea towel and set aside for a further 30 minutes to rise.
6. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Cover the buns again with the tea towel and set aside to rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
7. Fill drip tray or baking tray with boiling water and place at lowest level of oven.
8. Grease a baking tray with butter and transfer the buns to the tray. Place baking tray at mid-level of oven for 30 - 40 minutes to proof (rise).
9. When the buns have risen, remove baking tray of buns and water tray from oven.
10. Preheat oven to 240°C/275°F/Gas 8.
11. Cut a cross on each bun.
12. Transfer the baking try of buns to the oven and bake for 8 - 12 minutes, or until pale golden-brown. As soon as buns are removed from the oven, brush with the hot golden syrup, then set aside to cool on wire rack.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (87g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 38 (13%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 4.2g||6 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.2g||11 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.4g|
|Cholesterol 26.2mg||8 %|
|Sodium 12.2mg||0 %|
|Potassium 173.6mg||5 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 55.2g||16 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||10 %|
|Sugars, other 52.7g|
|Protein 6.6g||9 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 284
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.