1. With a large food processor fitted with a shredding blade, shred the tomatoes, apple, peppers & onion.
2. In a 4 quart Dutch oven, combine the sugar, cider vinegar, salt, black pepper & spices. Cook & stir until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Add the shredded tomato mixture to the Dutch oven. Bring to boiling. Then, reduce the heat & simmer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until the mixture is reduced to about 5 cups.
4. Cool the mixture slightly, then transfer to jars or freezer containers. Cover & chill to store, or label & freeze for up to 3 months. (If freezing, thaw to serve.)
5. Serve as a condiment with hot dogs or hamburgers.
TEST KITCHEN TIP: This mixture is acidic enough that it can be packed in sterilized half-pint jars & processed in a boiling-water canner for 10 minutes.
Makes 5 cups
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Recipe (1094g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Serving|
|Calories from Fat: 15 (6%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 1.6g||2 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.3g||1 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.6g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 69864.4mg||2409 %|
|Potassium 1712.8mg||45 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 52.3g||15 %|
|Dietary Fiber 11.6g||46 %|
|Sugars, other 40.7g|
|Protein 10.1g||14 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 243
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!