This is one of the best eggless cakes I have ever made. It was moist, rose beautifully and tasted delicious! The key ingredient in sticky toffee pudding is dates. Two cups of these dried fruits gives the cake a rich, sweet flavor.
The original recipe (from the book Piece of Cake by Camilla V. Saulsbury) calls for two eggs which I replaced with ground flax, my new favorite egg replacer.
1. In a large bowl, add the chopped dates, boiling water and baking soda. Let sit for 30 minutes or until room temperature. (Optional: once cool, you could squeeze the dates to make a chunky paste.)
2. Pre-heat oven to 350(F) degrees.
3. Mix ground flax with 6 tbsp water and microwave for one minute.
4. Add brown sugar, butter, flax mixture and vanilla to the date mixture and beat until well blended (about 2 minutes with an electric mixer). Add in flour and mix quickly to incorporate.
5. Prepare a square 8-inch baking pan with butter and sprinkled flour and evenly spread the batter.
6. Bake for 40 to 45-minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. While the cake is baking, heat together the brown sugar and whipping cream on medium heat on the stove. Once the mixture starts boiling, take off the stove. Add in vanilla and salt.
8. When the cake is ready, poke holes all over the top and pour half of the toffee sauce on top.
9. Let cool for 10 minutes, cut in to squares and serve warm with more toffee sauce.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (176g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 93 (21%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 10.3g||14 %|
|Saturated Fat 6.4g||32 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.5g|
|Cholesterol 28mg||9 %|
|Sodium 8069.7mg||278 %|
|Potassium 352.9mg||9 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 90.8g||27 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12 %|
|Sugars, other 87.8g|
|Protein 3g||4 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 452
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!