I got this FANTASTIC recipe from Bob Warden's Great Food Fast cookbook with slight moderations I made. You also want to get onion soup crocks which are a must to make this done the right way! You can find these on Amazon in sets of 4 for like $25. I should also note that in the video, I doubled the recipe which is perfect for freezing for use on another day! After making 2 crocks worth, I still had 3 quarts of soup left!
1. Cut the onions so they are halved and then slice into strips (don't dice!) and set aside in a bowl.
2. Put the pot on Sauté and melt the butter and oil until it sizzles.
3. Add the onions and brown sugar and stir regularly for about 10-12 minutes or until the onions have cooked down by about half and have become translucent and have a pasta-like consistency. Make sure they aren't too firm or too mushy!
4. Add the broth, red wine, thyme, bay leaf, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Give it a stir and secure the lid. Hit the Manual button and set for 8 minutes on High Pressure. Quick release when done. Preheat your oven to broil while quick releasing. Taste the soup (but be careful - It'll be hot!) and feel free to add additional salt and pepper as you see fit. But I think it's perfect as is!
5. Ladle the soup into the crock until it's just below the brim. Layer the croutons on top of the soup so that it serves as a foundation for the cheese. Seal with 1-2 slices of provolone (depending on how wide your crock is. Mine needs 2 to cover it properly but many will only need 1). And then layer a slice of Swiss or some shredded Gruyere. Leave some a little over the edges so when it bakes, it coats some of the side of the crock. Peeling the cheese off while eating is one of the best parts of the french onion soup experience! Sprinkle lightly with some paprika.
6. Place the crock on a baking tray lined with tin foil and pop into the oven for 5 mins or until the top begins to bubble, turns slightly brown and forms a cheese-like crust.
This is made in an InstantPot.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1726g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 563 (47%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 62.5g||83 %|
|Saturated Fat 33.4g||167 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 20g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 4.9g|
|Cholesterol 143.7mg||44 %|
|Sodium 2045.3mg||71 %|
|Potassium 1763.5mg||46 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 95.1g||28 %|
|Dietary Fiber 10.4g||41 %|
|Sugars, other 84.7g|
|Protein 30.2g||43 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1209
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.