1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients – flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
2. Mix together the buttermilk, melted butter and lightly beaten egg in another bowl.
3. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Pour the liquid ingredients into the well. Stir to form a soft dough. Add the raisins (if using) and mix lightly. You can use your hands for easier handling. Batter may be sticky.
4. Do not overmix. Shape into a ball.
Transfer the dough to a greased baking sheet, springform pan or to be more traditional, in a 9- to 10-inch cast iron skillet. Brush with extra buttermilk on top. You may also cut an X across the top, if you wish.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for about 50-60 minutes or until the bread is nicely browned on top and no longer looks shiny and doughy (toothpick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean).
6. Let it cool in the pan or skillet for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. I read that you can also cover the bread with a dish towel while it’s cooling on a wire rack. This should help maintain the tenderness of the crust.
Enjoy warm-ish with some butter and jam!
If you’re not using an iron cast skillet for cooking (which I did) you may need to reduce the baking time (using the cast iron takes a little longer). Check the bread at 45 minutes to see if it’s already done.
Yield: 1 large Loaf, 26 slices
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 50Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour and 10 Minutes
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 (1336g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1|
|Calories from Fat: 2318 (46%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 257.6g||343 %|
|Saturated Fat 158.5g||792 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 66.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 12.1g|
|Cholesterol 865.6mg||266 %|
|Sodium 35763.7mg||1233 %|
|Potassium 3360.9mg||88 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 636.9g||187 %|
|Dietary Fiber 25.7g||103 %|
|Sugars, other 611.2g|
|Protein 71.2g||102 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 5032
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!