1. Heat the oil in a small Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and ginger; sauté, stirring frequently, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the rice to the pot and cook, stirring frequently, until it is coated with the oil and onion mixture.
3. Add the beans, scotch bonnet, coconut milk, and water. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid has absorbed, about 20 minutes.
4. Remove the pot from the heat and let stand, covered, for at least 5 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork, being careful not to burst the scotch bonnet. Remove the chile and discard.
5. Stir in the green onions. Season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
Make sure you buy coconut milk, usually available in the Asian section, and NOT coconut cream, which is sweetened.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (280g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 160 (49%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 17.8g||24 %|
|Saturated Fat 12.9g||65 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.3g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 221.9mg||8 %|
|Potassium 421.3mg||11 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 36.4g||11 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4.8g||19 %|
|Sugars, other 31.6g|
|Protein 7.6g||11 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 328
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.