- Shell Cardamom seeds and put in a warm oven or a frying pan, toast lightly.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup lukewarm water and let stand.
- Sift flour, sugar and salt and work in butter and lard. Add egg, lukewarm milk, yeast and mix.
- Cover bowl and set to rise overnight.
- In the morning, punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface, divide in half (2 loaves). Divide each portion into thirds and shape into 14 in ropes and braid. Pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake in the oven at 375 for 35 min (start watching a couple minutes prior to the end to prevent burning).
- Remove from pan to wire rack to cool.
- This is a large recipe, cutting the recipe in half will make for a very large loaf.
- Dividing the dough portions into 4 and braiding makes for a cooler presentation.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1027g)|
|Recipe Makes: 2 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 1015 (33%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 112.8g||150 %|
|Saturated Fat 67.8g||339 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 31.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.4g|
|Cholesterol 280mg||86 %|
|Sodium 28659.6mg||988 %|
|Potassium 477.5mg||13 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 537.6g||158 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4 %|
|Sugars, other 536.6g|
|Protein 10.4g||15 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 3118
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!