From Dom's Kefir Cheese Making website:
"There are other types of cheese that I prepared with kefir. Explained here is a fresh, sweet curd cheese, similar to cottage cheese or pannier of India. Kefir-cottage-cheese is quick and easy to prepare. Note that this is a rennet-free cheese like the majority of cheeses I prepare."
1) Heat milk to about 60°C [140°F].
2) While gently stirring the milk, slowly pour kefir into the milk as a slow steady stream. Do not stir too fast or too vigorously or for too long or the curds will break apart and become un-retrievable. The curds should begin separating from the whey-- the whey should be reasonably clear and not milky. If the whey is still milky, either increase the heat, or add a little extra kefir [while very gently stirring for a short time only] until the whey becomes reasonably clear. Let sit for 2 minutes.
3) Remove curds by skimming with a strainer.
4) Place curds in either a pre-moistened cheesecloth lined colander, or in a suitable mesh-type strainer.
5) Let curds drain for about 15 minutes. Presto... that's it!
Note: A little sea salt to taste may be added to the fresh cheese. You can add sea salt to the fresh milk prior adding kefir, or, fold a little sea salt in the fresh curd in step 4. Depending on preference, 1/2 tsp sea salt per 3 cups curd is about right.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (0g)|
|Recipe Makes: 2 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 0 (NaN%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 0mg||0 %|
|Potassium 0mg||0 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 0g||0 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 0g|
|Protein 0g||0 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
BigOven Pro required
Eat healthier with nutrition info.
Calories, carbs, protein, sodium, fiber and more - easily calculate from any recipe.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!