1. Sift the flour & salt into the mixing bowl of a food processor, then mix in the sugar & yeast. Beat the milk & eggs with a fork, then make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and add the liquid. Mix the dry ingredients in from the sides using a wooden spoon.
2. Blend the mixture at a slow speed for 10 minutes using the dough hook of the food processor. It will become quite sticky. Cover with a damp dishcloth and leave in a warm area for approximately 90 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size. Knock back te dough using your hands, then squeeze the soft butter in the dough, ensuring that it is thoroughly mixed. Cover and refigerate for at lest 4 hours or overnight, if possible.
3. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and knead for a few minutes. Roll out onto a lightly floured surface until it is about 2.5cm (1") thick, then use a scone or cookie cutter to cut out rounds. Use a smaller cutter to make a hole in the middle of each round to form a ring. Repeat with the remaining dough. Place the rings onto a greased baking tray, leaving space for rising. Leave to rise for 30-45 minutes or until they have doubled in size.
4. Heat oil in a deep-fryer or a medium sized saucepan until it reaches 350F / 180C. (To test for this temp with no oil thermometer - drop a cube of white bread into the oil. It should turn golden brown in 40 seconds.) Fry 2-4 doughnuts art a time until golden brown & cooked through (about 5 minutes). Remove from oil and drain on absorbant paper. Repeat with the remaining doughnuts.
5. Place the doughnuts onto cooling racks and dust with icing sugar.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Dozen (682g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1.5|
|Calories from Fat: 725 (31%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 80.6g||107 %|
|Saturated Fat 44.2g||221 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 21.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 6.4g|
|Cholesterol 729.1mg||224 %|
|Sodium 645.9mg||22 %|
|Potassium 718.7mg||19 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 357.4g||105 %|
|Dietary Fiber 9.5g||38 %|
|Sugars, other 347.9g|
|Protein 57g||81 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 2371
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.