Heat the oil in a sauce pan over medium heat.
Cook and stir the carrots, oil, onion, and garlic in the hot oil until soft, about 10 minutes. Cut chillis while waiting (see warnings).
Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor.
Add the habanero peppers, water, lime juice, vinegar, tomato and lime zest to the blender/processor and blend until smooth.
Season with salt and pepper to taste, transfer the mixture to a saucepan and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
Simmering at the end gives the sauce a more liquid consistency.
For more heat:
* Add all the seeds
* When cutting off the stems, leave as much 'rib flesh' on as possible
For less heat:
* Add sugar (a tablespoon or so)
* Boil the mixture some more after pureeing
* Leave out the seeds and ribs
* Add a cardamom pod to the liquid for a few minutes for a hint of spice (it can stay in there during pureeing).
* Puree the mixture thoroughly to get a nice smooth sauce.
*** WARNINGS ***
Habanero chillis can be dangerous! Here are some hints to help you out.
* Wear latex gloves (or similar, if allergic to latex) on the hand holding the chilli. 2 pairs is even better.
* Work in a well ventilated area. Chilli vapours can cause severe respiratory irritation. Turn the exhaust fan on!
* Never fry habaneros in oil! (trust me, I tried. The house had to be evacuated for 10 minutes; nobody could breathe)
* Don't wipe your eyes, nose, or mouth while using chillis. Likewise, exercise caution when using the bathroom afterwards. :/
* Wipe/Wash all bench-tops and utensils with soapy water afterwards. Ideally, run utensils and bowls etc that have contacted the chilli in the dishwasher.
* Avoid the temptation to eat a whole raw habanero.
* Don't feed this stuff to your cat.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Medium-large Jar (|
|Recipe Makes: 2 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 18 (21%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 2g||3 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.3g||1 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.3g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 48.2mg||2 %|
|Potassium 334.7mg||9 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 16g||5 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12 %|
|Sugars, other 13g|
|Protein 1.9g||3 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 86
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.