Yield: About 5 Dozen (Meat)
1. Season the meat with salt and pepper and rub with the garlic. Place in a heavy pot and surround with the carrot celery, and 1 onion. Cook, covered, for about an hour or until there is almost no water. TheN add water to cover and simmer for an hour and a half.
2. While the meat is cooking, slice the remaining 2 onions and saute slowly in the oil until brown.
3. Remove the meat from the heat and let cool. Drain and coarsely grind with all the onions, adding a little at a broth from the meat if needed to make it moist enough to handle.
4. To make the dough, mix the oil, salt, and water in a bowl. Gradually stir in the flour until a medium-soft dough is formed. Place on a floured board. Knead until the dough is smooth and soft. A food processor works well for this.
5. Cut the dough into 3 portions. Roll out each piece of dough into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 2 inch squares. Fill each square with about a teaspoon of the meat mixture. Dipping your fingers in flour, fold over into a triangle, and crimp closed. Join the 2 ends together like a little ring, as you would a tortellini or a wonton. Repeat with the rest of the kreplach. If you like, you can freeze the kreplach at this point. To do so, place them on a cookie sheet in the freezer and, when frozen, transfer them to plastic freezer bags. Otherwise, refrigerate until ready to use.
6. To cook the kreplach, bring about 10 cups of water to a boil in a big pot. Add the salt and about 20 kreplach at a time. When the kreplach have risen to the top, cool with a strainer to a bowl filled with chicken soup, serving about 3 kreplach per person.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (35g)|
|Recipe Makes: 60 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 9 (22%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 1g||1 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.1g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.3g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 107mg||4 %|
|Potassium 24.6mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 6.9g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4g||2 %|
|Sugars, other 6.5g|
|Protein 0.9g||1 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 41
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.