1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the flours, water, and starter on low speed until just combined, about one minute.
2. Let the dough rest (autolyse) for 30 minutes.
3. Add the salt and continue mixing on low or medium speed until the dough reaches a medium level of gluten development. This should only take about 3 or 4 minutes.
4. Transfer the dough to an oiled container (preferably a low, wide one so the dough can be folded without removing it from the container).
5. Ferment at room temperature (72F – 76F) for 2.5 hours, with folds at 50 and 100 minutes.
6. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter. Divide it into 660g pieces. I usually make three loaves. Preshape the dough pieces into light balls and place on parchment paper.
7. Sprinkle the balls lightly with flour, place in round cake pans to keep their shape, cover loosely with plastic, and then slip into a large plastic bag and proof at room temperature for 2 – 2.5 hours. Alternatively, the loaves can be proofed for about 1.5 hours at room temperature, then refrigerated for 2 – 16 hours and baked directly out of the refrigerator; this will yield a tangier bread with a lovely, blistered crust.
10. Meanwhile, preheat the oven, and cast iron Dutch oven, to 475F.
11. Slash each loaf and lift into the now hot Dutch oven. Put the lid on.
12. Once the loaves are in the oven, turn the heat down to 450F. Bake, covered, for 20 min. Remove the lid of the Dutch oven and continue baking for another 20 min., covering loosely with aluminum foil if the loaves start to brown too much.
13. Cool on a wire rack. Don’t cut until the loaves are completely cool, if you can manage it!
Baking by weighing the ingredients makes all the difference, and will produce consistent results every time.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (609g)|
|Recipe Makes: Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 3 (13%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0.3g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.1g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.1g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 28mg||1 %|
|Potassium 115.8mg||3 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 6g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.4g||10 %|
|Sugars, other 3.5g|
|Protein 1g||1 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 23
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!