To prepare the vegetables:
1) Lay the slices of eggplant on an ovenproof flat tray. Spray both sides of the eggplant slices with a light coating of olive oil. Place them under a hot griller and cook on both sides for 5-8 minutes, or until the eggplants are fairly tender. Remove and set aside.
2) Set the capsicum slices under the grill, skin side up. Grill them for 10 minutes or until their skins are blackened. Remove and place them in a plastic bag, and seal the bag. When the capsicums are cool, peel the blackened skin off and set the capsicums aside.
To prepare the tomato sauce:
Pour the olive oil into a large, heavy-based saucepan and set it over moderate heat. When the oil is hot, sprinkle in the yellow asafoetida powder, sauté momentarily (if you are using onions instead, sauté them now), then add the basil leaves and oregano, and sauté for another 30 seconds. Pour the puréed tomatoes, stir to mix and bring to the boil. Add the salt, black pepper, sugar and tomato paste, reduce the heat slightly and cook, uncovered, stirring often for 10-15 minutes, or until it reduces and thickens.
To prepare the bechamel sauce:
Melt the butter in a 2-litre heavy saucepan over low heat. Stir in the nutmeg, black pepper and flour, and sauté, stirring constantly, for about half a minute or until the mixture loosens. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and gradually pour in the warm milk, stirring with a whisk until it is all incorporated and the sauce is smooth. Return the sauce to moderate heat and bring to the boil, stirring. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the sauce develops a thick custard-like consistency.
To assemble the lasagna:
1) Combine all three cheeses (except the reserved parmesan). Divide the cheese into 2 portions, the tomato sauce into 3 portions, the bechamel sauce into 4 portions, and the pasta into 5.
2) Spread one portion of the tomato sauce on the bottom of the oven-proof casserole dish. Place a portion of the pasta on top. Layer the eggplant slices on top of the pasta sheets. Spread on a portion of the bechamel sauce, then another of the pasta. Sprinkle on half the grated cheese.
3) Continue layering as follow: a portion of the tomato sauce; the sundried tomatoes; the capsicum slices; another portion of the pasta; another of the bechamel; another of the pasta, then the remaining cheese. Layer the spinach leaves on top of the cheese.
4) Spread on the remaining tomato sauce, top with the last pasta sheets and the remaining double portion of bechamel (this bechamel layers needs to be thicker than the others). Sprinkle the top with the reserved parmesan cheese, place the lasagna in the top half of the pre-heated 200°C oven and cook for 45-60 minutes, or until the top is slightly golden and the pasta yields easily to a knife point. If the lasagna is darkened on top but does not yield fully to the knife, cover the lasagna with aluminium foil in the last 15 minutes of cooking. When the lasagna is done, leave it in the oven with the door slightly open for at least 30 minutes more to allow the lasagna to plump up and set. Cut and serve.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1493g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 1164 (60%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 129.3g||172 %|
|Saturated Fat 67.9g||339 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 39g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 11.6g|
|Cholesterol 268.8mg||83 %|
|Sodium 3954.8mg||136 %|
|Potassium 6749.7mg||178 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 166.3g||49 %|
|Dietary Fiber 40.2g||161 %|
|Sugars, other 126.1g|
|Protein 56.7g||81 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1943
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!