1. Put the zucchini in a bowl and toss with a small bit of salt and let stand for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile heat a skillet and add the olive oil. Saute onion and garlic until tender (about 10 minutes).
3. Add ground beef to the skillet and cook until no longer pink. You may wish to drain the meat but not necessary.
4. Add oregano, basil, pepper and a touch of salt and simmer for 2 minutes.
5. Stir in your cooked rice and tomato sauce.
6. Combine the ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese and the egg.
7. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with Pam or lightly grease it.
8. Layer half of the zucchini at the bottom of the casserole dish.
9. Layer the meat/rice mixture on top of the zucchini.
10. Spread your ricotta mixture on top of the meat mixture.
11. Layer the rest of the zucchini on your ricotta mixture.
12. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
13. Bake in a preheated 375 F oven for 25 minutes, or until bubbly.
14. Let sit for 5 minutes ... serve and enjoy!
You may want to add a little more tomato sauce or a bit of tomato juice to your meat mixture but do not add much more or it will be quite runny. This is the type of dish that you can also adapt your own herbs and seasonings to depending on your taste.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1035g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 280 (33%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 31.1g||42 %|
|Saturated Fat 14.3g||71 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 10.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.1g|
|Cholesterol 92.5mg||28 %|
|Sodium 620.1mg||21 %|
|Potassium 1694.1mg||45 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 116g||34 %|
|Dietary Fiber 14.1g||57 %|
|Sugars, other 101.9g|
|Protein 32.4g||46 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 850
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.