This lovely golden lemon cake is extra-moist and nicely tangy, due to its fresh lemon juice glaze. Our thanks to Maida Heatter, grande dame of delicious desserts, for the inspiration behind this recipe.
Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 10" tube pan, or a 9" to 10", 9- to 10-cup capacity bundt-style pan.
1) Beat together the butter, sugar, and salt, first till combined, then till fluffy.
2) Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3) Add the baking powder, then add the flour alternately with the milk, starting and ending with the flour. Mix until smooth. Stir in the grated lemon rind or lemon oil.
4) Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
5) Bake the cake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
6) While the cake is baking, make the glaze by stirring together the lemon juice and sugar. Set it aside.
7) Remove the cake from the oven, and set it on a rack. After 5 minutes, run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen, and turn the cake out onto a rack. Place another rack on top, and flip it over, so it's right-side-up.
8) Poke the hot cake all over with a cake tester or toothpick.
9) Stir the glaze to combine, and immediately brush it on the hot cake. Let it sink in, then brush on more glaze, continuing until all the glaze is used up.
10) Allow the cake to cool before slicing.
20 mins. to 30 mins.
55 mins. to 60 mins.
1 hrs 15 mins. to 1 hrs 30 mins.
12 to 16 servings
Tips from our bakers
If you use salted butter, reduce the salt in the recipe to 1/2 teaspoon.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 recipe (7397g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4|
|Calories from Fat: 5233 (26%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 581.4g||775 %|
|Saturated Fat 296.9g||1484 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 172.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 47.4g|
|Cholesterol 9434.5mg||2903 %|
|Sodium 4393.6mg||152 %|
|Potassium 5469.5mg||144 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 3472.1g||1021 %|
|Dietary Fiber 54.6g||218 %|
|Sugars, other 3417.5g|
|Protein 408.2g||583 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 20368
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe.