ArcaMax Publishing's "Healthy Recipes," via "the EatingWell Test Kitchen," by Melissa Pasanen (3/27/2012)
These lemony cranberry-studded muffins crunch lightly with cornmeal & are topped with a kiss of sugared lemon zest. They're great warm from the oven, but also keep well for a few days & freeze beautifully.
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat a 12 cup muffin pan (1/2 cup each) with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
2. Whisk 1/2 cup sugar, yogurt, oil, egg, 2 teaspoons lemon zest, lemon juice & vanilla in a medium bowl.
3. Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda & salt in a large bowl. Add the yogurt mixture & fold until almost blended. Gently fold in the cranberries.
4. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar & remaining 1 teaspoon of lemon zest in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the tops of the muffins.
5. Bake the muffins until golden brown & they spring back lightly to the touch; 20 to 25 minutes. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
6. Individually wrap the muffins in plastic & freeze them in a freezer bag for up to 1 month. To reheat frozen muffins: remove the plastic, wrap the muffin in a paper towel & microwave on High for 30 to 60 seconds.
White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color & flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour. It is available at large supermarkets & natural-foods stores, as well as online at bobsredmill.com or kingarthurflour.com. Store it in the freezer.
Tip: To make quick work of chopping cranberries, place whole berries in a food processor & pulse a few times until the berries are coarsely chopped.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (87g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 59 (26%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 6.5g||9 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.6g||3 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.9g|
|Cholesterol 15.5mg||5 %|
|Sodium 178mg||6 %|
|Potassium 89.6mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 40.3g||12 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||11 %|
|Sugars, other 37.7g|
|Protein 4.3g||6 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 230
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.