Lemon Meringue Custard Pie
This is a twist on a lemon meringue pie—the filling has a creamier, custardlike texture. The meringue I have developed doesn’t leak and holds its shape for at least 2 days in the fridge.
1 1/2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs (made from 3 cups vanilla wafers)
2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 can (14 oz) + 2/3 cup low-fat sweetened condensed milk
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1/2 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
3 egg yolks (save the whites)
3 egg whites
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
3 Tbsp water
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
2. To make the crust, combine the crumbs, water and oil a small bowl. Pat into the sides and bottom of the pie pan.
3. To make the filling, combine the sweetened condensed milk, lemon zest, lemon juice and egg yolks until well combined. Let sit for 10 minutes until thickened. Pour into the pie pan and bake for 20 minutes or just until the mixture is set.
4. Meanwhile, make the meringue. Combine the egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar and water in a clean bowl. With an electric beater, whip at the highest setting for about 6 to 8 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Spread over the lemon filling.
5. Increase the oven temperature to 375°F and bake for 10 minutes or until meringue is just lightly browned. Chill until cold and cut into 14 small slices.
Nutritional Analysis per Serving: (1 slice)
Nutrition Watch: Regular condensed milk is high in sugar and fat. Try a low-fat condensed milk instead. It has 50% less fat and carbohydrates
Protein 5.1 g
Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 1.9 g
Carbohydrates 45 g
Cholesterol 54 mg
Sodium 87 mg
Fiber 0.3 g
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Make Ahead: Can be baked up to a day in advance and refrigerated.
Makes one 9-inch pie
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (0g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 0 (NaN%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 0mg||0 %|
|Potassium 0mg||0 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 0g||0 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 0g|
|Protein 0g||0 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
BigOven Pro required
Eat healthier with nutrition info.
Calories, carbs, protein, sodium, fiber and more - easily calculate from any recipe.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!