A hand-me-down familiy favorite from the kitchen of Grandma Mary Higgins of Elizabeth, WV. I think the recipe was originally in an old "Spry" shortening cookbook. The fresh lemon juice added at the end instead of cooking it in is what makes this pie a winner. (The meringue tips were added later)
Mix cold water, salt, and cornstarch. Combine hot water and sugar in top of double boiler and bring to a boil over direct heat. Add cornstarch mixture and cook until thick and smooth (15 min) stirring constantly. Stir a little of mixture into egg yolks, return to double boiler and cool a few min. longer. Add lemon juice and butter. Cool. Pour into baked pie shell for 20-30 min. until meringue is firm and delicately brown. Cool pie on rack away from drafts.
1. Use fresh cream of tartar. -replace every six months.
2. Use room temp. egg whites & superfine sugar. When meringue reaches the firm & glossy peak stage, roll a pinch between thumb & index finger-if you feel any sugar girt, you're not finished beating. Undissolved sugar can cause beading.
3. To prevent shrinkage, spread meringue all the way to the outside edge of the crust, sealing & enclosing the crust completely.
4. Bake meringue pies at 35o for 15-20 minutes. Ignore instructions to flash ake at high temperatures.
5. To prevent weeping and condensation, cool the meringe pie slowly in a draft-free area.
6. Don't attempt meringue on a hot, muggy day. If you must refrigerate, never cover a meringue pie in the refrigerator.
7. If any droplets form, just soak them up carefully with the corner of a paper towel.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 405 Calories; 11g Fat (25.3% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 70g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 84mg Cholesterol; 227mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat; 2 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (263g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8|
|Calories from Fat: 85 (13%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 9.4g||13 %|
|Saturated Fat 3.9g||19 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.1g|
|Cholesterol 82.5mg||25 %|
|Sodium 136.8mg||5 %|
|Potassium 79mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 140g||41 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.8g||3 %|
|Sugars, other 139.3g|
|Protein 3.2g||5 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 640
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.