For the curry:
- Add the oil in a large pot and increase heat to medium.
- Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine. Sautée over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Stir in the ginger and carrots, and continue sautéing for another few minutes over medium heat.
- Add the curry powder, cumin, and turmeric. Stir well. Cook for a minute, until fragrant.
- Pick over and rinse the lentils in a fine mesh sieve. Stir in the entire can of coconut milk, red lentils, broth, and salt. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook, covered with the lid ajar, for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the lentils and carrots are tender. Stir occasionally to prevent the lentils from sticking to the bottom. Stir in a touch more broth if you'd like a slightly thinner consistency.
- After cooking, stir in all of the spinach until wilted. Stir in the black pepper, cayenne (if using), and sugar (if using). Taste and adjust salt, if desired.
For the rice:
- Add the rice into a medium pot along with the oil and broth. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover with a lid, and cook for 12 to 16 minutes, until the rice is soft and tender.
- Fluff with a fork and stir in the cilantro. Season to taste with salt and lime juice. Keep the lid on until ready to serve.
- Add a generous scoop of rice on a plate or bowl and top with a couple ladlefuls of curry.
- Add your desired toppings and serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an air-tight container for up to 4 to 6 days.
- Freeze for up to 4 weeks, possibly longer. For easy freezer storage, add the cooled curry into a freezer-safe bag, press out the air, and freeze on a flat surface. Thaw overnight in the fridge, or simply leave on the counter until mostly thawed.
Read more: http://ohsheglows.com/2015/10/12/golden-red-lentil-dal-with-cilantro-speckled-basmati/#ixzz45UYN5l3W
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (3617g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 2409 (51%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 267.7g||357 %|
|Saturated Fat 165.7g||828 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 74.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 13.4g|
|Cholesterol 884.6mg||272 %|
|Sodium 4917.3mg||170 %|
|Potassium 10273.4mg||270 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 379.1g||112 %|
|Dietary Fiber 11g||44 %|
|Sugars, other 368.1g|
|Protein 222.4g||318 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 4744
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!