In big stock pot:
1. Saute onion, garlic, and celery in olive oil until tender and caramelized
2. Add potatoes, carrots, and broth. Bring to a boil.
3. Lower heat to simmer. Add lentils and spices. Liquid should be at mixture level in pot.
4. Cover partially with lid and stir occasionally until liquid is absorbed.
5. Depending on how you like your lentils - crunchier or softer - your cook time will vary. Usually 20 to 40 minutes. Add more liquid if necessary.
6. Turn off heat. If you let them sit with the lid off, they will cook more.
7. Layer lentil mixture in pie shells about 1/3 full. Add about 1/4 cup of shredded cheese.
8. Add another layer of lentil mixture.
9. Cook at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes or until shell is nicely browned.
10. Sprinkle with cheese and heat 5 to 10 minutes more.
Ingredient amounts are approximate - feel free to add, omit, increase amounts of anything to taste. Lentils are like split peas and do not require soaking. Can also add other spices including tarragon, coriander, sage, Italian seasoning, etc. The lentils will take on whatever palette of flavors you like. Think of it as a shepherd's pie if you desire.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (533g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 240 (34%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 26.7g||36 %|
|Saturated Fat 12.6g||63 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 9.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.7g|
|Cholesterol 33.6mg||10 %|
|Sodium 1200.4mg||41 %|
|Potassium 1343.3mg||35 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 90.4g||27 %|
|Dietary Fiber 20.7g||83 %|
|Sugars, other 69.7g|
|Protein 25.3g||36 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 696
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!