1) Place carrots in a small microwave safe container with enough water to cover and cook for 2 minutes. Let them sit for a bit until the carrots become tender.
2) Add onions, carrots, peppers, garlic and oil in a medium-sized pan and sauté over medium heat until everything is tender and onions are translucent. (I use a pan instead of a skillet so I can make this all in one pot)
3) Add cooked lentils, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste. Stir well. Add spices and stir so all the ingredients get to know each other a little better. Continue to keep the party simmering over medium heat.
4) Add cornmeal, stir some more and allow to sit over low heat for 10 minutes or so.
5) Now for the final step. Take 1 cup of the lentil mixture and the 1 cup of cooked brown rice and either place it in a food processor or put it in a small bowl and use an immersion blender. Pulse until the mixture is the consistency of paste. Add this to back to the lentil mix, stir it in a bit, and you’re done!
Spread this thick, flavorful Sloppy Joe mixture on your favorite buns and top with BBQ sauce and pickles for a meal your whole family will enjoy.
To make it even healthier, once can replace the corn meal with quinoa and skip the liquid smoke.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (302g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 86 (21%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 9.6g||13 %|
|Saturated Fat 5g||25 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.2g|
|Cholesterol 19.4mg||6 %|
|Sodium 159.2mg||5 %|
|Potassium 907.5mg||24 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 65.3g||19 %|
|Dietary Fiber 14.2g||57 %|
|Sugars, other 51.1g|
|Protein 15.9g||23 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 402
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!