1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Pierce potatoes with a fork and bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes until tender. Allow to cool slightly. Scoop potato flesh into a bowl and mash.
2. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet until crisp, about 8 minutes. Remove bacon and crumble; set aside. Reserve 2 tbsp of bacon fat.
3. In a large pot, add butter and reserved bacon fat. Heat over medium heat. Add onion and cook 3 minutes; sprinkle flour over onion and cook 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk; stir in salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne. Add reserved mashed potatoes and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 2 cups of the cheese, half the reserved bacon and half the scallions.
4. Heat broiler. Divide soup equally among 6 flame-proof onion soup crocks. Sprinkle remaining cup of cheese over tops of crocks. Broil 4 inches from heat source for 3 minutes until cheese melts.
5. Garnish each with 1 tsp sour cream and remaining bacon and scallions.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (458g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 338 (56%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 37.6g||50 %|
|Saturated Fat 18.4g||92 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 8.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.2g|
|Cholesterol 87.1mg||27 %|
|Sodium 733.4mg||25 %|
|Potassium 907.3mg||24 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 43.9g||13 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.9g||12 %|
|Sugars, other 40.9g|
|Protein 21.3g||30 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 606
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.