1. Put butter in a stock pot. When butter melts, add flour stiffing frequently. Cook resulting roux for 15 to 20 minutes until it starts to brown (do not let it burn)
2. While roux is cooking, wash bell pepper, celery and onion. Dice all and set aside.
3. Add spices (except the file' powder) and the vegetables (except the okra) to the stock pot. Mix the vegies with the roux. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Slowly add chicken broth, tomato juice, and water to the stock pot. Stir to mix. Cover the pot with a lid and cook on medium/low setting for 30 minutes.
5. Rinse the shrimp. Add shrimp, chicken and okra to the pot. Simmer another 10 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
6. Add file' powder immediately before serving, mix in well.
7. Serve in bowls over rice and enjoy!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (546g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 179 (28%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 19.8g||26 %|
|Saturated Fat 7.6g||38 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.4g|
|Cholesterol 196.8mg||61 %|
|Sodium 389.4mg||13 %|
|Potassium 706.6mg||19 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 74.3g||22 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.4g||14 %|
|Sugars, other 70.8g|
|Protein 38.9g||56 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 642
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.