This is my American version and more generous serving of the traditional Hawaiian luau side dish known as Lomi Lomi Salmon.
This dish will pair well with Kalua Pig (see Pressure Cooker Kalua Pig). Using store bought lox makes this a quick and convenient recipe since it is cured, salted, smoked and ready to eat.
Note: Use above quantities as a guide; adjust more or less as you prepare.
1. Coarsely chop or julienne in short strips salmon slices.
2. Cut grape tomatoes in half length wise.
3. Cut onion in half with the grain, then thin slice (crosscut) to get half rings. Continue slicing second half of onion in same manner. If you want your onions to have more body and crunch, thin slice with the grain. Any sweet onion variety is recommended, however, if you prefer the "bite" from a regular onion, feel free. To remove some of the bite out of a regular onion, grab a handful of the slices then squeeze-wash, don't rub, under running warm water with your hands. When done washing, wrap in paper towel and squeeze out excess water so that onion slices are not dripping wet.
4. In a bowl, lomi (massage-toss-mix) lox, tomatoes, and onions; chill then garnish lightly with chopped green onions prior to serving.
5. Option: serve on top of bed of your favorite lettuce or bitter greens to highlight colors of lox, tomatoes, and onions; black pepper to taste at time of serving
This side dish must be chilled at least for a half hour prior to serving. Keep reserve for seconds chilled until ready for serving. Test taste a piece of salmon tomato and onion before adding any additional seasoning since the lox will provide most of the flavor and saltiness to the dish.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (234g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 25 (26%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 2.8g||4 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.6g||3 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.7g|
|Cholesterol 13mg||4 %|
|Sodium 1151.1mg||40 %|
|Potassium 505.9mg||13 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 6.8g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||10 %|
|Sugars, other 4.3g|
|Protein 12.2g||17 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 98
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.