This easy flatbread recipe has no yeast and is best made ahead of time to infuse any flavors you want to add. This recipe is plain dough , so add herbs and spices as you see fit, I make it with garlic, paprika, and some basil. Each serving is approximately a 6 inch flatbread about a half-inch thick after pan frying or grilling.
1. In a stand mixing bowl if you have one mix together all dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder) including any herbs or seasonings you wish to add. Mix well.
2. Add milk and butter slowly to dry ingredients.
3. Resulting dough should be moist, but not sticky. If too sticky add flour in tablespoon amounts until consistency feels right.
4. Knead dough either by hand or in a mixer until the dough looks consistent throughout (no lumps).
5. Collect dough into one big ball and collect in plastic wrap, store in refrigerator for 8 hours or as long as you can wait.
6. When ready to cook the flatbread, collect dough into the size flatbread that you want. (1 1/2 inch diameter ball will make approximately a 6 inch diameter flatbread).
7. Flatten ball to about 1/8 inch, the thinner the better.
8. Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium heat.
9. Cook flatbread dough on each side, only about a minute depending on the thickness.
10. Season to your liking and Enjoy!
-If you are not eating the flatbread right away try putting it in a airtight bag soon after cooking. I found that this helps to keep it moist and make it more "pliable" if you want to bend it for a "Subway" style flatbread.
-Tastes great on the grill
-Resting overnight increases flavor, but this flatbread still tastes great without resting at all
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (139g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 65 (23%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 7.2g||10 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.1g||11 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.8g|
|Cholesterol 7mg||2 %|
|Sodium 4360.4mg||150 %|
|Potassium 124mg||3 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 52.7g||15 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||6 %|
|Sugars, other 51.2g|
|Protein 6.7g||10 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 283
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.