PHYLLO:1. Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375.
2. Whisk together five-spice powder and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar in a small bowl.
3. Cover phyllo with overlapping sheets of plastic wrap and a dampened kitchen towel to prevent it from drying out.
4. Arrange 1 phyllo sheet on a large baking sheet, brush with some butter and sprinkle with one third of spiced sugar. Add 2 more layers to the first layer in the same manner. Top with remaining phyllo sheet and brush with remaining butter. (For a corrugated look, invert a large rectangular cooling rack and place it on top of phyllo.)
5. Bake until dark golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Carefully remove cooling rack (if using) and transfer phyllo (in 1 piece) with 2 metal spatulas to another rack to cool.
CREAM CHEESE MOUSSE:1. While phyllo cools, blend together cream cheese, lemon juice, vanilla, 1 tablespoon reserved orange syrup (discard remainder), and 1/4 cup powdered sugar in a food processor until smooth. Add remaining powdered sugar in two additions, beating well to combine between each addition. Using same beaters, beat the chilled whipping cream in another medium bowl until it holds soft peaks. Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture in 3 additions. Gently fold in oranges & orange zest. Cover and refrigerate.
2. Break phyllo with your hands or cut with serrated knife into 12 pieces. Arrange 1 piece of phyllo on a plate and top with a dollop of cream cheese mousse. Repeat layering and top with another piece of phyllo. Make 3 more napoleons in same manner. Dust with confectioners sugar, add a few long strands of orange zest, and a couple mandarin orange segments for garnish.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (172g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8|
|Calories from Fat: 387 (87%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 43g||57 %|
|Saturated Fat 26.5g||132 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 11.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.7g|
|Cholesterol 127mg||39 %|
|Sodium 102.6mg||4 %|
|Potassium 99.6mg||3 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 14.2g||4 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||2 %|
|Sugars, other 13.7g|
|Protein 2.5g||4 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 444
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.