This recipe is a favorite from the cookbook 175 Essential Slow Cooker Classics by Judith Finlayson. It is zesty with just the right amount of clam, and the cream takes the edge off the acidity. I find it hard to come by fresh clams, so I often substitute canned baby clams and it turns out great with much less fuss.
1. Cook bacon in a skillet until crisp. Drain on a paper towel and crumble. Reserve 1 tbsp of the drippings in the pan and discard the rest.
2. In the rendered bacon fat reserved in the pan, sauté the onions and celery until translucent. Add tomatoes, clam juice, and wine to deglaze the pan. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
3. Add the potatoes, bay leaves and red pepper flakes (if using) and stir well. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours until potatoes are tender.
4. To clean the clams: scrub thoroughly with a wire brush and soak in several changes of cold salted water. Discard any clams that are open.
5. To cook the clams, bring 1/2 cup water to a rapid boil in a large pot. Add the clams and cover, shaking the pot until all the clams open. Discard any that do not open. Strain cooking liquid through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl and reserve. Remove the clam meat from the clams and add to the slow cooker with the reserved clam cooking liquid, cream and bacon. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes until heated through. Garnish with parsley, serve and enjoy!
Note: if substituting canned baby clams, drain and rinse the clams before adding to the soup, You can increase the amount of clam juice if desired to substitute for the clam cooking liquid, but this isn't really necessary.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (769g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 168 (31%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 18.7g||25 %|
|Saturated Fat 6.3g||32 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 6.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.5g|
|Cholesterol 125.7mg||39 %|
|Sodium 442.3mg||15 %|
|Potassium 1999.9mg||53 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 45.6g||13 %|
|Dietary Fiber 6.6g||26 %|
|Sugars, other 39g|
|Protein 44.7g||64 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 539
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe.