This recipe uses Marie Callender's Corn Bread Mix. The recipe isn't listed on the Marie Callender web site, nor was I able to find it by searching on the internet. I contacted the Marie Callender customer service department through their web site, asking if they were aware of a Hush Puppy recipe using their Corn Bread Mix, and they emailed it to me within a day.
1. In mixing bowl combine eggs, water and onions. Mix well.
2. Add Marie Callender's Corn Bread Mix. Mix until well combined.
3. In large heavy sauce pan heat vegetable oil (2 inches deep) to 350? to 375?.
4. Use a spoon or small scooop to portion hush puppies.
5. Dip spoon (or scoop) into the hot oil and scoop the hush puppy batter and drop into the hot oil.
6. Fry until crisp and golden brown on all sides, turning frequently.
7. Lift out with a slotted spoon onto a paper lined baking sheet.
8. Serve piping hot with coctail sauce or buttermilk dressing.
9. To keep warm, place baking sheet in a 200? oven 'til ready to serve.
I did use the above recipe, which is pretty much straight from Marie Callender. My observations:
1. The flavor could have used a little saltiness, so I'll try adding some the next time.
2. I use a deep fryer rather than a sauce pan, which seemed to work just fine.
3. The recipe is quite generous. For our family of 4 I'll try to halve the recipe the next time I prepare.
4. I've never served (or seen served) coctail sauce or buttermilk dressing with hush puppies. We just serve with butter, which is added just as the hush puppy is to be eaten.
5. I used a household table spoon and will use a smaller potion next time as they came out larger than I would have preferred.
Your observations are appreciated!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (106g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8|
|Calories from Fat: 87 (31%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 9.6g||13 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.7g||13 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.2g|
|Cholesterol 104.1mg||32 %|
|Sodium 671.3mg||23 %|
|Potassium 128mg||3 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 40.7g||12 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.1g||8 %|
|Sugars, other 38.7g|
|Protein 7.6g||11 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 283
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.