The goal of this recipe is to recreate jumbo lump crab cakes that compete with those prepared by the best seafood restaurants near Chesapeake Bay. These are distinguished by having a minimum amount of bread crumbs as filler. Don't expect to get by cheaply, but do expect to be impressed and satisfied.
1. In a small bowl or cup, mix the mustard powder, Old Bay seasoning, and seasoned bread crumbs, then add the chopped parsley. Set aside until Step 5.
2. In a large bowl, lightly beat the egg with a whisk.
3. Add the mayonnaise to the large bowl and whisk until combined.
4. Add the Worcestershire sauce to the large bowl and stir to combine.
5. Add the dry ingredients (mixed in Step 1) to the large bowl and stir to mix well.
6. Add the crab meat to the large bowl. Break up any compressed clumps of crab. Gently fold the crab meat into the other ingredients with a large spoon, being careful not to break up individual pieces of crab.
7. Cover tightly with a double layer of plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 3 hours.
8. Shape into 8 medium-sized cakes, pressing each one into panko bread crumbs to coat it lightly.
9. In a large pan, fry the coated crab cakes in a small amount of hot oil until well browned, gently turning once.
Use refrigerated fresh (not canned) jumbo lump crabmeat, which can be purchased (for example) at Sam's Club or Costco for about $17. Jumbo lump crabmeat is more satisfying than claw meat.
We use Progresso seasoned bread crumbs in the crab cakes because they add less salt (450 mg of sodium) than Contadina (720 mg of sodium). The Old Bay seasoning contributes the bulk of the salt.
Makes 8 medium crab cakes (4 appetizer servings or 2 entree servings, both generous).
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 2-patty serving (1|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 224 (70%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 24.9g||33 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.5g||12 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 13.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 7.7g|
|Cholesterol 145.5mg||45 %|
|Sodium 544.1mg||19 %|
|Potassium 34.6mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 2.8g||1 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||1 %|
|Sugars, other 2.7g|
|Protein 22.2g||32 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 319
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!