Recipe By : NYT 2/22/06 per Blue Ribbon Bakery, NYC
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :2:00
Categories : Matzo Ball
1. For broth: Rub chicken inside and out with about 2 Tablespoons kosher salt. Allow to stand for 15 minutes, then rinse well under cold water. Place in a large stick pot and add cold water to cover by 3 inches. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Skim off impurities that rise during the first 15 minutes of boiling, then add celery, carrots, onion, leeks, garlic, parsley, dill, peppercorns and bay leaves. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until chicken is cooked, about 45 more minutes.
2. Carefully remove chicken from pot and take meat from bones, reserving meat for another use. Return bones to pot of broth, and simmer for 1 hour more. Strain through a sieve lined with cheesecloth. Cool broth, then refrigerate until fat rises to top and solidifies, at least several hours. Skim off and discard fat.
3. For Matzo balls: In a large mixing bowl, combine matzo meal, eggs, schmaltz, kosher salt and baking powder. Mix well. Ad seltzer and mix again. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a simmer. With wet hands, roll out 1-ounce balls (about the size of a walnut). Add balls to water and simmer until tender, light and fluffy in the center, 45 to 60 minutes. (To test centers, insert a toothpick, which should slide easily all the way through). Drain, allow to cool, and transfer to a flat covered container. Refrigerate until needed.
5. To serve, place broth over medium-low heat. Add matzo balls, blanched carrot slices and chopped dill. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until matzo balls are thoroughly heated, and serve.
Yield: 10 to 12 servings.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Recipe (475g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Recipe|
|Calories from Fat: 362 (61%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 40.3g||54 %|
|Saturated Fat 12.7g||63 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 15.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.5g|
|Cholesterol 1693.6mg||521 %|
|Sodium 6712.1mg||231 %|
|Potassium 626.6mg||16 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 6.8g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||3 %|
|Sugars, other 6.2g|
|Protein 52g||74 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 596
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe.